Sewing Skill Builder Teens
Sunday 26 April
26 April @ 9:30 am - 11:30 am$49.00
Basic Cushion for Tweens and Teens (ages 9 – 18)
Why everyone should learn to sew because it:
- Is a basic life skill
- Is SO much fun
- Builds confidence and a sense of achievement
- Allows you to make/alter your own clothes, bags, soft furnishings, soft toys
- Helps develop hand eye coordination
- Helps encourage fine motor skills
This sewing workshop is designed for school students who have used a sewing machine and have a basic understanding of how to sew a straight stitch. The student (or supervising carer) will need to understand the basic functions of the machine and be able to change the machine to zigzag stitch, how to make a bobbin, etc.
What does this session cover?
- Trouble shooting basic sewing machine problems
- Simple sewing stitches
- Sewing tools – what you need and what you don’t
- Seam neatening techniques including zigzag
- How to stitch a simple envelope back cushion cover
What you’ll need:
- 0.5m of cotton fabric at least 110cm wide. Please do not use synthetic, stretchy, sheer or very thick fabrics!
- Matching thread
- 1 x Size 18 (45cm x 45cm square) cushion insert
- Iron and ironing board
- Tape measure, pins, scissors, pencil, seam ripper
- Preparation required before the workshop:
- Cut your fabric to size. We will provide instructions via email on how to do this and the measurements required.
- Machine and bobbin correctly threaded
- Ironing board and iron set up close to sewing machine.
We have some beautiful feather foam cushion inserts available in our shop.
Times and dates – workshops are AEST also known as Australia, Brisbane time or GMT+10. Please check how this time compares to your local time.
Please enter a number (e.g. 1) into the ticket quantity field. You can use the “+” and “-” buttons if you wish. Then click the “Get Tickets” button.