Sewing Skill Builder Adults
Sunday 26 April
Sunday 26 April 2020 @ 1:30 pm - 3:30 pm$69.00
Basic Envelope Back Cushion workshop for adults
Are you “itching to stitch?” Now more than ever, people are keen to learn how to:
- Create their own clothing
- Repair and adjust their existing garments
- Sew their own soft furnishings
In addition, people are keen to understand the sewing process so that they can be active participants in creating their own unique garments….garments that fit well, are made from fabrics that are comfortable to wear and that suit their lifestyle and personality.
The teacher for this workshop is Lauren Weier. With a wealth of experience, Lauren knows what basics are vital to get a great start on your sewing journey. She can also teach you the simple steps to avoid the most common sewing problems! This workshop will certainly “wet your whistle” for creating using your sewing machine!
Everyone should learn to sew because it:
- Is a basic life skill
- Is SO much fun
- Builds confidence and a sense of achievement
- Allows you to make/alter your own clothes, bags, soft furnishings, soft toys
- Helps develop hand eye coordination
- Helps encourage fine motor skills
This session is for you if:
- You have had a play with your sewing machine but lack the confidence to start a sewing project!
- You have a sewing machine but you’ve lost your “sewjo!”
- You have sewn in the past but haven’t made anything for years and have lost confidence
- You can “sort of” sew but are struggling with machine basics and simple sewing techniques
What does this session cover?
- Trouble shooting basic sewing machine problems
- Simple sewing stitches
- Sewing tools – what you need and what you don’t
- Some simple sewing terms that are important in understanding patterns and pattern layouts
- Seam neatening techniques including zigzag
- How to stitch a simple envelope back cushion cover
What you’ll need:
- Sewing machine
- 0.5m of cotton fabric at least 110cm wide. Please do not use synthetic, stretchy, sheer or very thick fabrics!
- Matching thread
- 1 x Size 18 cushion insert
- Iron and ironing board
- Tape measure, pins, scissors, pencil, seam ripper
Preparation required before the workshop:
- Cut your fabric to size. We will provide instructions via email on how to do this and the measurements required.
- Machine and bobbin correctly threaded
- Iron and ironing board set up close to sewing machine.
- If you have time it may be helpful to sew a few straight lines on some scrap fabric before the workshop
We have some beautiful feather foam cushion inserts available in our shop.
Times and dates – workshops are AEST also known as Australia, Brisbane time or GMT+10. Please check how this time compares to your local time.
Please enter a number (e.g. 1) into the ticket quantity field. You can use the “+” and “-” buttons if you wish. Then click the “Get Tickets” button.