Learn to Sew Tutorial
Thursday 29 July
Thursday 29 July 2021 @ 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm$20.00
Our Beginner Learn to Sew Workshop was our first ever class! We have been teaching it here in our studios non-stop for nearly nine years. Now we are excited to offer this class via ZOOM. After sewing for about 55 years (yes, I’m that old), I have watched lots of people start (or restart) their sewing journey. I know it can be, at the same, exhilarating and frightening……full of promise and full of fear.
What if your long held dream of creating your own clothes come crashing to the ground because your sewing ends up with bunchy knots of thread every time you start a new seam?
What if your lovely stash of fabric (that fills you with joy and smells SOOO good) stays neatly folded in the cupboard, because you are unsure how to pin and cut it?
What if your first few projects don’t meet the expectations of your mother (crafty sister, old home ec teacher, uber talented granny, etc )?
You’ll never know if you don’t start!
We can guide you step by step, patiently demystifying the (weird) language of sewing and getting you started with confidence.
Julie can easily trouble shoot the most common (and easily avoidable) sewing issues.
This class is perfect for you if any of the following are true:
- I have never sewn
- I haven’t sewn since high school
- I have sewn a little but really feel like starting from the beginning because I keep making the same mistakes
- My sewing machine scares me!
- My sewing vocabulary is quite limited and all the sewing terms confuse me
Sewing Journey Level: Orientation
Tutor: Julie Hillier
In a 1.5 hour class we will cover these basics:
- sewing machine anatomy “101”
- setting up your machine
- mastering simple stitches
- fabric basics (selvedge, warp and weft)
- using simple tools (scissors, pins, tape measure)
- how to construct a simple envelope back cushion cover (made with only one piece of fabric and just straight stitching!)
- Written notes
- Instructions for the cushion – how to make a pattern and how to sew it
- Access to a video recording of the class that you can refer to over and over again
Times and dates – workshops are AEST also known as Australia, Brisbane time or GMT+10. Please check how this time compares to your local time.
Interested in the next workshop?
If this workshop is full or the listed date is unsuitable for you, please check our newsletter for advanced notice of our next available workshop.
Buying your ticket