Learn to Sew online
Sunday 7 June
Sunday 7 June 2020 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm$65.00
Home sewing is the new Black!
There is huge resurgence of interest in learning the skills to help you:
- create your own clothing
- repair and adjust existing garments
- make your own soft furnishings
Now, more than ever, people are keen to understand the sewing process so that they can be active participants in creating their own unique garments….garments that fit well, are made from fabrics that are comfortable to wear and that suit their lifestyle and personality.
The teacher for this workshop is Lauren Weier. With a wealth of experience, Lauren knows what basics are vital to get a great start on your sewing journey. She can also teach you the simple steps to avoid the most common sewing problems!
This session is for you if:
- You have never sewn before
- You haven’t touched a machine since Home Ec at school!!
- You have sewn in the past but haven’t made anything for years and have lost confidence
- You can “sort of” sew but are struggling with machine basics and simple sewing techniques
What does this session cover?
- The basics of the sewing machine
- Threading the machine and making a bobbin
- Trouble shooting common sewing machine problems
- Simple sewing stitches
- Sewing tools – what you need and what you don’t
- Seam neatening techniques including zigzag and using an overlocker
- How to cut from a pattern
- How to stitch a simple envelope back cushion cover
What to have ready?
- 0.5m of cotton fabric at least 110cm wide
- matching thread
- Tape measure, pins, scissors, pencil, seam ripper
- 1 x Size 18 cushion insert (45cm square)
- Fabric cut to size
- Have your machine and bobbin correctly threaded
- Iron and ironing board
- Important: Test your sewing machine on some scrap fabric before the workshop so you know it is working correctly
Times and dates – workshops are AEST also known as Australia, Brisbane time or GMT+10. Please check how this time compares to your local time.
Want to do more?
The perfect follow-ups sessions for this workshop would be:
- ModularME Tutorial
- Piped Cushion Workshop
Interested in the next workshop?
If this workshop is full or the listed date is unsuitable for you, please check our newsletter for advanced notice of our next available workshop, or you can send me an email to arrange a private lesson for a time that suits you.
Please choose the number of tickets below.