Learn to Sew
Monday 30 September
Monday 30 September 2019 @ 9:30 am - 12:30 pm$75.00
School holiday workshop for children aged 10+
- create clothing
- repair and adjust existing garments
- make soft furnishings
- recycle existing fabric into bags, cushions, etc
Now, more than ever, it is important for young people to understand the sewing process so that they can be active participants in creating their own unique garments and develop new skills that will last a lifetime. With practice they will be able to create garments that fit well, are made from fabrics that are comfortable to wear and that suit their lifestyle and personality.
The teacher for this workshop is Lauren Weier. Lauren is an excellent teacher and knows the basics that are vital to get a great start on your sewing journey. She can also teach you the simple steps to avoid the most common sewing problems!
This session is for your child if:
- They have never sewn before
- They are showing an interest in making or adjusting their own clothes
- They are happy to create things from fabric (bags, cushions, purses etc)
- They can “sort of” sew but are struggling with machine basics and simple sewing techniques
What does this session cover?
- The basics of the sewing machine
- Threading the machine and making a bobbin
- Trouble shooting common sewing machine problems
- Simple sewing stitches
- Sewing tools – what you need and what you don’t
- Seam neatening techniques including zigzag and using an overlocker
- How to cut from a pattern
- How to stitch a simple envelope back cushion cover
What to bring?
- 0.5m of cotton fabric at least 110cm wide
- matching thread
- 1 x Size 18 cushion insert 0r we can supply either a Polyester cushion insert ($9.50) or a Feather/Foam cushion insert ($21.00). Choose the corresponding ticket type when booking (below).
Interested in the next workshop?
If this workshop is full or the listed date is unsuitable for you, please check our newsletter for advanced notice of our next available workshop, or you can send me an email to arrange a private lesson for a time that suits you.