Learn to Sew
Class 1 Introduction to Sewing
Monday 20 January
Monday 20 January 2020 @ 9:30 am - 12:30 pm$75.00
School Holiday Learn to Sew – Class 1 – Introduction to Sewing
Project: Envelope-Backed Cushion Cover
There is huge resurgence of interest in learning the skills to help you:
- create your own clothing
- repair and adjust existing garments
- make your own soft furnishings
Now, more than ever, people are keen to understand the sewing process so that they can be active participants in creating their own unique garments….garments that fit well, are made from fabrics that are comfortable to wear and that suit their lifestyle and personality.
The teacher for this workshop is Lauren Weier. With a wealth of experience, Lauren knows what basics are vital to get a great start on your sewing journey. She can also teach you the simple steps to avoid the most common sewing problems!
This session is for you if:
- You have never sewn before
- You can “sort of” sew but are struggling with machine basics and simple sewing techniques
- You are school-age (8+ years old)
- The basics of the sewing machine
- Threading the machine and making a bobbin
- Trouble shooting common sewing machine problems
- Simple sewing stitches
- Sewing tools – what you need and what you don’t
- Seam neatening techniques
- How to cut from a pattern
- How to stitch a simple envelope back cushion cover
What to bring:
- 0.5m of cotton fabric at least 110cm wide
- Matching thread
- 1 x Size 18 cushion insert
Want to do more?
The perfect follow-ups sessions for this workshop would be:
- School Holiday Learn to Sew Next Steps Petal Pin Cushion and Needle Book
- School Holiday Learn to Sew Next Steps Zip Purse/Sewing Case
- Contact us to book in a private sewing lesson to take your sewing skills to the next level or to tackle a specific project!
Interested in the next workshop?
If this workshop is full or the listed date is unsuitable for you, please check our newsletter for advanced notice of our next available workshop, or you can send me an email to arrange a private lesson for a time that suits you.