Learn to Sew
Saturday 17 February
Saturday 17 February 2018 @ 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm$95.00
Home sewing is the new Black!
There is huge resurgence of interest in learning the skills to help you:
- create your own clothing
- repair and adjust existing garments
- make your own soft furnishings
Now, more than ever, people are keen to understand the sewing process so that they can be active participants in creating their own unique garments….garments that fit well, are made from fabrics that are comfortable to wear and that suit their lifestyle and personality.
The teacher for this workshop is founder of Ministry of Handmade, Julie Hillier. After teaching sewing for five years (and sewing her own clothes and soft furnishings for 45 years), Julie knows a bit about sewing. She knows what basics are vital to get a great start on your sewing journey. She can also teach you the simple steps to avoid the most common sewing problems!
This session is for you if:
- You have never sewn before
- You haven’t touched a machine since Home Ec at school!!
- You have sewn in the past but haven’t made anything for years and have lost confidence
- You can “sort of” sew but are struggling with machine basics and simple sewing techniques
What does this session cover?
- The basics of the sewing machine
- Threading the machine and making a bobbin
- Trouble shooting common sewing machine problems
- Simple sewing stitches
- Sewing tools – what you need and what you don’t
- Seam neatening techniques including zigzag and using an overlocker
- How to cut from a pattern
- How to stitch a simple envelope back cushion cover
- How to stitch a simple zippered cushion cover
4 hours: 1.00pm – 5.00pm
What to bring?
2 x 0.5m of fabric* at least 110cm wide. This can be 1.0m of the same fabric of two different fabrics
2 x Size 18 cushion insert
1 x 35cm co-ordinating dress zip
Want to do more?
The perfect follow-ups sessions for this workshop would be any of these:
- Simply Sewn Workshop
- Piped Cushion Workshop
- Audrey Top Workshop
- Sew Your Own Project
Interested in the next workshop?
If this workshop is full or the listed date is unsuitable for you, please check our newsletter for advanced notice of our next available workshop, or you can send me an email to arrange a private lesson for a time that suits you.