Learn to Sew
Sunday 16 May
Sunday 16 May 2021 @ 9:30 am - 1:00 pm$105.00
Home sewing is the new Black!
There is huge resurgence of interest in learning the skills to help you:
- create your own clothing
- repair and adjust existing garments
- make your own soft furnishings
This workshop will be held in our studio, and due to COVID restrictions we are following strict protocols regarding hand cleaning, disinfecting and maximum numbers of attendees. We will also ask you to observe our COVID-safe guidelines.
Now, more than ever, people are keen to understand the sewing process so that they can be active participants in creating their own unique garments….garments that fit well, are made from fabrics that are comfortable to wear and that suit their lifestyle and personality.
The teacher for this workshop is Julie Hillier. With a wealth of experience, Julie knows that the basics are vital to get a great start on your sewing journey. She can also teach you the simple steps to avoid the most common sewing problems!
This session is for you if:
- You have never sewn before
- You haven’t touched a machine since Home Ec at school!!
- You have sewn in the past but haven’t made anything for years and have lost confidence
- You can “sort of” sew but are struggling with machine basics and simple sewing techniques
What does this session cover?
- The basics of the sewing machine
- Threading the machine and making a bobbin
- Trouble shooting common sewing machine problems
- Simple sewing stitches
- Sewing tools – what you need and what you don’t
- Seam neatening techniques including zigzag and using an overlocker
- How to cut from a pattern
- How to stitch a simple envelope back cushion cover
What to bring?
- 0.5m of cotton fabric at least 110cm wide
- matching thread
- 1 x Size 18 cushion insert 0r we can supply either a Polyester cushion insert ($9.50) or a Feather/Foam cushion insert ($21.00). Choose the corresponding ticket type when booking (below).
Your next step!
Excited about sewing your own clothes? Well, the next step for you is to attend a ModularME Makers Morning. This will help you embark on your own sewing journey; learning skills one module at a time; and create garments that really fit you. There’s more information here:
Check our workshop calendar for more ModularME Makers Sessions.
Interested in the next workshop?
If this workshop is full or the listed date is unsuitable for you, please check our newsletter for advanced notice of our next available workshop, or you can send me an email to arrange a private lesson for a time that suits you.
Buying your ticket