Learn to Sew
Saturday 1 February
Saturday 1 February 2020 @ 9:30 am - 12:30 pm$95.00
Home sewing is the new Black!
There is huge resurgence of interest in learning the skills to help you:
- create your own clothing
- repair and adjust existing garments
- make your own soft furnishings
Now, more than ever, people are keen to understand the sewing process so that they can be active participants in creating their own unique garments….garments that fit well, are made from fabrics that are comfortable to wear and that suit their lifestyle and personality.
The teacher for this workshop is Lauren Weier. With a wealth of experience, Lauren knows what basics are vital to get a great start on your sewing journey. She can also teach you the simple steps to avoid the most common sewing problems!
This session is for you if:
- You have never sewn before
- You haven’t touched a machine since Home Ec at school!!
- You have sewn in the past but haven’t made anything for years and have lost confidence
- You can “sort of” sew but are struggling with machine basics and simple sewing techniques
What does this session cover?
- The basics of the sewing machine
- Threading the machine and making a bobbin
- Trouble shooting common sewing machine problems
- Simple sewing stitches
- Sewing tools – what you need and what you don’t
- Seam neatening techniques including zigzag and using an overlocker
- How to cut from a pattern
- How to stitch a simple envelope back cushion cover
What to bring?
- 0.5m of cotton fabric at least 110cm wide
- matching thread
- 1 x Size 18 cushion insert 0r we can supply either a Polyester cushion insert ($9.50) or a Feather/Foam cushion insert ($21.00). Choose the corresponding ticket type when booking (below).
Want to do more?
The perfect follow-ups sessions for this workshop would be any of these:
- Simply Sewn Workshop
- Piped Cushion Workshop
- Audrey Top Workshop
- Sew Your Own Project
Interested in the next workshop?
If this workshop is full or the listed date is unsuitable for you, please check our newsletter for advanced notice of our next available workshop, or you can send me an email to arrange a private lesson for a time that suits you.