Makers Escape Workshop
Sunday 29 August
29 August @ 9:30 am - 12:30 pm$115.00
Make a drum or empire style lampshade! We use the same techniques that the professional lampshade makers use to produce that perfect shade !
Using fabric of your choice (you can bring it with you or choose from the range we will have available), make a new décor item that will be the hero of a room at your place or co-ordinate with existing furnishings.
Time: 3 hours
Cost: $115 includes your choice of one of the following lampshade sizes:
- 20cm diameter drum shade
- 25cm diameter drum shade
- 30cm diameter drum shade
- 13cm/18cm empire shade
- 15cm/20cm empire shade
- 20cm/25cm empire shade
- 10cm/20cm rectangular shade
Optional extras: All extras (including fabric) are payable at the workshop
- Increase to 35cm shade – $9 extra
- Increase to 40cm shade – $13 extra
- Increase to 43cm shade – $17 extra
- Increase to 50cm shade – $27 extra
- Change to empire shade 20cm/30cm – $13 extra
- Change to empire shade 25cm/35cm – $17 extra
- Change to empire shade 30cm/40cm – $27 extra
- Change to 15cm/30cm rectangular shade – $10 extra
- Change to 20cm/40cm rectangular shade – $20 extra
- Change to Hero Lamp – $89 extra
Minimum fabric requirements for drum lampshades:
- 20cm – 0.5m high x 70cm wide
- 25cm – 0.5m high x 90cm wide
- 30cm – 0.5m high x 110cm wide
- 35cm – 0.5m high x 120cm wide
- 40cm – 0.5m high x 135cm wide
- 50cm – 0.5m high x 1.8m wide*
- Hero lampshade – 0.7m high x 0.7m wide
*The long length of the fabric for a 50cm (or larger) lampshade is cut parallel to the selvedge (running down the roll), therefore, please choose a fabric with a design that works well in this orientation.
Minimum fabric requirements for empire shades:
- 13cm/18cm: 0.5m of fabric
- 15cm/20cm: 0.5m of fabric
- 20cm/25cm: 0.5m of fabric
- 20cm/30cm: 0.5m of fabric
- 25cm/35cm: 0.5m of fabric
- 30cm/40cm: Please email Julie
Minimum fabric requirements for rectangular shades:
- 10cm/20cm: 0.4m of fabric
- 15cm/30cm: 0.4m of fabric
- 20cm/40cm: 0.4m of fabric
Fabric selection: Light to medium weight cotton, linen, cotton drill, polyester cotton. Fabrics with very loose weave or coarse or uneven grain or texture are not really suitable. Fabric may be purchased on the day.
For empire shades, fabrics with designs that run obviously horizontally or vertically are not suitable as the shade curves. If you have any questions about this please contact Julie email@example.com
Provided: All other lampshade making equipment and tools for all lampshades.
Lampshade kits: A variety of kits for Drum Shades, Empire Shades, Hero Lamps, Rocket Lamps and Rectangular Shades are available for purchase on the day so you can keep creating at home.
Lamp bases: If you have a base in mind for the shade you are making, please bring the base with you so we can help you select the best size.
Note: Please do not bring old lampshades for rejuvenating. It takes more time to restore an old shade than the time we have available at the workshop.
Can’t make this workshop?
If this workshop is full or the listed date is unsuitable for you, please check our newsletter for advanced notice of our next available workshop.
Buying your ticket