Lampshades in Tambo QLD
Tuesday 16 July
Tuesday 16 July 2019 @ 2:30 pm - 5:30 pm$130.00
We are pleased to facilitate this workshop at Tambo.
Get the Ministry of Handmade advantage! We use the same techniques that the professional lampshade makers use . . . no sewing, no glueing !
Create your own professional standard drum or empire lampshade from scratch. Using fabric of your choice, make a new décor item that will be the hero of a room at your place or co-ordinate with existing furnishings.
Time: 3 hours
Cost: $130 for a 20cm, 25cm or 30cm diameter drum shade or a 13cm/18cm or 15cm/20cm empire shade.
Provided: All other lampshade making equipment and tools for all lampshades (except fabric). If you are unable to source fabrics prior to the workshop we will have a variety of designer fabrics available for sale. For all fabric recommendations and requirements please see below.
Optional extras: All extras (including fabric) are payable at the workshop
- Increase to 35cm shade – $9 extra
- Increase to 40cm shade – $13 extra
- Increase to 43cm shade – $17 extra
- Increase to 50cm shade – $27 extra
- Add a diffuser* for 40cm shade – $34
- Add a diffuser* for 50cm shade – $46
- Change to empire shade 20cm/30cm – $13 extra
- Change to empire shade 25cm/35cm – $17 extra
- Change to empire shade 30cm/40cm – $27 extra
- Change to Hero Lamp 30cm or 42cm – $89 extra
*Diffuser – An optional extra for when the 40cm or 50cm shade is being used as a pendant, to help spread the light from the bulb evenly. Can be easily removed for cleaning.
Minimum fabric requirements for drum lampshades:
- 20cm – 0.5m high x 70cm wide
- 25cm – 0.5m high x 90cm wide
- 30cm – 0.5m high x 110cm wide
- 35cm – 0.5m high x 120cm wide
- 40cm – 0.5m high x 135cm wide
- 43cm – 0.5m high x 138cm wide
- 50cm – 0.5m high x 1.8m wide*
*The long length of the fabric for a 50cm (or larger) lampshade is cut parallel to the selvedge (running down the roll), therefore, please choose a fabric with a design that works well in this orientation.
Fabric requirements for empire shades:
- 13cm/18cm: 0.3m of fabric
- 15cm/20cm: 0.5m of fabric
- 20cm/30cm: 0.5m of fabric
- 25cm/35cm: 0.5m of fabric
- 30cm/40cm: 0.6m of fabric
Fabric selection: Light to medium weight cotton, linen, cotton drill, polyester cotton. Fabrics with very loose weave or coarse or uneven grain or texture are not really suitable. Fabric may be purchased from Ministry of Handmade.
For empire shades, fabrics with designs that run obviously horizontally or vertically are not suitable as the shade curves. If you have any questions about this please contact Julie email@example.com
Lampshade kits: Are available for purchase on the day so you can make another lampshade at home.
Lampshade ring set size: Please note that the lampshades we make in the workshop are suitable to fit a standard Australian light fitting with a 29mm diameter inner fitting washer. The larger European lamp bases have a 42mm diameter inner fitting washer. Typically, lamps with the larger washer are found in IKEA, sometimes in Freedom and other places. Please let us know in advance if you need something other than the Australian standard size.
Lamp bases: If you have a base in mind for the shade you are making, please bring the base with you so we can help you select the best size.
Note: Please do not bring old lampshades for rejuvenating. It takes more time to restore an old shade than the time we have available at the workshop.
Interested in the next workshop?
If this workshop is full or the listed date is unsuitable for you, please check our newsletter for advanced notice of our next available workshop, or you can send me an email to arrange a private lesson for a time that suits you.