Sunday 19 March 2023
19 March @ 9:00 am - 1:30 pm$145.00
Learn how to create your very own gathered lampshade with bias trim.
Please note: There is both a small amount of machine sewing (three straight seams only) and some hand sewing involved in this workshop. This lampshade is constructed over a lampshade frame using an outer layer of fabric and a fabric lining. These types of shades are often referred to as soft lampshades as the fabric is not bonded to lampshade PVC.
For the workshop, you’ll be able to choose from two sizes:
Top diameter/bottom diameter (approx.)
In this session we’ll guide you step-by-step through the process
What you’ll learn:
- How to cut, gather and attach your outer fabric
- How to create and attach the lining
- How to cut and attach a bias trim to the top and bottom of your shade
Time: 4.5 hours
What’s included: Wire frame to make a shade, pattern, lining fabric, instruction sheet, lampshade making tools and equipment.
Please bring your fabric:
- Type of fabric – lightweight fabric such as voile, lawn, lightweight linen
- Colour of fabric – light coloured fabrics work best as the gathers as easier to see
- Patterned fabric – plain or small scale patterns, stripes and checks are effective too.
- Quantity of fabric – if you are using the same fabric for your shade and bias trim, please bring 1.0m, if you would like a contrasting trim please bring 0.5m for the shade and 0.5m for the trim.
- You may purchase fabric from Ministry of Handmade on the day if you wish.
Please do not bring:
Silk, stretch fabric, synthetic fabric, heavy upholstery fabrics.
Choosing your size:
You can choose the size you’d like to make at the beginning of the workshop. If you already have a base you’d like to use with your new tapered wavy shade, please bring it with you so that we can help you choose the right size.
Gathered Lampshade Kits will be available for sale at the completion of the workshop.
Interested in the next workshop?
If this workshop is full or the listed date is unsuitable for you, please check our newsletter for advanced notice of our next available workshop.
Buying your ticket