Friday 30 November
Friday 30 November 2018 @ 10:00 am - 3:00 pm$290.00 – $380.00
Our bench seats and bed head workshops are so popular that we thought we’d offer them during the week!
Come along on a Friday and make your choice of a bed head or any of our bench seats.
We’ll have the bed heads and bench seat frames, sewing machines and air staplers ready…you just rock up with your fabric and thread.
Morning tea will be provided. Please bring your own lunch.
Choose from our entire bench seat range or a bed head from single size to king.
Our bench seat is a real winner! And now our “no sew” option is just perfect for those DIYers without sewing skills or those who prefer a fast folded corner rather than piping. We provide the frame, you bring the fabric!
Size is 450mm high and 350mm wide and comes with a number of options so you can customise the style and look to suit your space:
- Two lengths – either 900mm or 1200mm long (Custom lengths are available. Please ask us about pricing)
- Legs – tapered timber pine (standard) or as an optional extra victorian ash or steel hairpin legs
- Covered buttons – buttons are included in the price (14 for 1200mm and 12 for the 900mm seat)
These prices are for turned pine legs. On the day of the workshop you can choose to upgrade to either Victorian Ash Hardwood (just delicious timber for staining or waxing) or black steel hairpin legs for an extra $30.
Everything you need to make your ottoman except your choice of fabric. We supply the steel reinforced ply frame, foam, wadding, dust cover to underside, legs, beeswax for finishing the legs.
What will you learn:
- How to cover piping cord with fabric to make your own customised piping (if choosing the piped option)
- How to stitch the cover (if choosing the piped option)
- How to staple the cover to the frame
- How to make and attach covered buttons (if this option is chosen)
- How to attach the dust cover
- How to attach the legs
- How to apply beeswax or furniture oil to the timber legs (The timber legs can be left raw so they can be stained a colour of your choice at home)
What do you need to bring:
- 1.0m of fabric*
- Medium-heavy weight cottons, cotton/linen blends, cotton canvas, upholstery weight fabrics
- Quilting weight fabric
- Really thick upholstery fabrics as they are bulky and hard to work with
- Stripes and checks as they are difficult to pattern match
- Fabrics that are shiny or have a sheen to them as they show up any imperfections more readily than fabrics with a dull finish.
*Warwick Fabrics (54 Robertson St, Fortitude Valley) carry a wide range of upholstery fabrics. Their showroom is open to the public so that you can view the range. If you wish to purchase a Warwick fabric, you will need to contact Julie to order on your behalf as Warwick don’t sell directly to the public. Please allow at least six working days for the delivery of your fabric.
Studded Bed Head
Add a real designer flair to your bedroom with our new “no sew” bed head. With a fabulous studded finish that is simple to achieve, you will want one for every bedroom! Make any size from our range: single, king single, double, queen or king. You will have the option of adding timber legs or a hanging rail (allows your bedhead to be fixed to the wall using screws).
- bedhead frame already prepared with foam and wadding
- silver or bronze finish studs
- use of air staplers and all other tools
- dust cover for the back
- timber legs (height adjustable) or hanging rail
- how to tension fabric to create an even smooth finish
- how to attach studs
- how to attach dust cover
- Please bring an old sheet or blanket to keep your bedhead clean on the trip home.
- Finished bedheads fit into most cars/SUVs/4WDs
- Finished height of bedhead: 725 mm (single, king single and double), 875 mm (Queen and King)
- Finished length of finished bedhead:
Single – 955 mm
King single – 1110 mm
Double – 1410 mm
Queen – 1570 mm
King – 1870 mm
- If you want you bedhead full height, i.e. solid to the floor without any legs, please email us for a quote.
Piped and Buttoned Bed Head
Similar to the studded bed head above – plus we teach basic upholstery skills along the way including making piping and attaching covered buttons.
This is not a beginners workshop. It is designed for those who have done some basic sewing skills.
We will provide a bed head base that is prepared with wadding. Also included are:
- The use of all tools including staple guns and upholstery tools
- Sewing machines
- Upholstery consumables
- Two horizontal rows of buttons at approximately 160mm spacing (if you want another row or buttons closer together then the extra buttons will be charged separately at $3 each on the day of the workshop).
- Your choice of two timber legs or a wall bracket.
Fabric of your choice. Please phone Julie on 0414 467 405 prior to purchasing your fabric, to discuss quantities, button choices, etc.
In this workshop learn how to:
- Make covered piping
- Tension and attach fabric using a staple gun
- Use of back tacking strips
- Attaching covered buttons
- Attaching a back dust cover
- Use upholstery tools
Cost: Varies on the size of your bed head.
We know everyone is busy and the best of plans sometimes get de-railed, however, we would love you to arrive on time for the workshop as it helps us get underway with your project promptly. If you arrive early, please take a moment to enjoy waiting in the park adjacent to the studio. Our uninterrupted preparation time prior to the workshop is important to ensure the best outcomes for everybody.
Interested in the next workshop?
If this workshop is full or the listed date is unsuitable for you, please check our newsletter for advanced notice of our next available workshop, or you can send me an email to arrange a private lesson for a time that suits you.