Saturday 8 September
Saturday 8 September 2018 @ 10:00 am - 3:30 pm$175.00
Perfect for the warmer weather that is just around the corner, this semi-fitted top with bias finished armholes is simple, simple, simple! It pairs perfectly with jeans, shorts or 3/4 pants. With no zips, no buttons and no darts, this top goes together very easily.
There is only one pattern piece as the front and back are basically exactly the same and the rest of the top is made using strips of bias (bias is fabric cut at 45 degrees rather than on the straight of the grain).
And as an added bonus, I’ll show you three ways to very simply “hack” the pattern to change the styling and make it your own! Using your take home pattern, you can even sew it again later as a dress!
If you dream of being able to make your own clothes and long to know how to simply change patterns, this workshop is for you…..come and build your understanding of the basics!!!!
Sizing and fabric requirements:
This top is suitable for bust measurements 80cm to 114cm.
This project has been designed for the maker who is fairly new to sewing (you need to be familiar with the use of a sewing machine) and/or those who want to finesse their sewing skills!! This is not a “learn to sew” project for a raw beginner!
5.5 hours in one day: 10:00am to 3:30pm
- your pattern
- note sheet and simple instructions (including the pattern hacks)
- bias tape maker
- use of sewing machines
- morning tea will be served on arrival. Please bring your own lunch
- fabric of your choice – light to medium weight cotton, cotton blends, linen, linen blends. Please do not bring synthetic fabric such as polyester, rayon, silk. These fabrics have too much drape, are difficult to sew and slow the project down considerably. Sorry, but if you bring fabrics in these categories, you will be asked to purchase suitable fabric from Ministry of Handmade to make it fair for everyone. :) Fabric requirements will be emailed after registration. Fabric may be purchased from Ministry of Handmade if required. Please consider bringing fabric from your stash rather than purchasing new if possible.
- co-ordinating thread
- sewing pins, scissors, tape measure
- your lunch
In this workshop learn how to:
- calculate your size
- cut from a pattern
- cut bias strips
- sew french seams
- create your own bias binding using a special tool that is yours to keep for future projects
- attach neck facing
- attach bias trim to armholes
- create cord for neckline
- finish the hem
Interested in the next workshop?
If this workshop is full or the listed date is unsuitable for you, please check our newsletter for advanced notice of our next available workshop, or you can send me an email to arrange a private lesson for a time that suits you.