52/100: 100 Days of Making

52/100: 100 Days of Making

The Rescue of the Favourite Frock!

This is my fave dress of all time!!! I made it in 2013 using some cotton curtain fabric that I bought on sale at East Coast Fabrics. It originally had a beautiful bias cut roll collar and the pattern I used became the starting point for our Audrey Top Workshop. I have worn this dress to death and I don’t think there was one time when I wore it that someone didn’t comment on it. Well, the last time I wore it, the lining fabric ripped (beyond repair) from back armhole to back armhole. Also the roll collar had twisted out of shape a bit due to so many washes.

Well, what was I to do…. I wasn’t ready to part with this favourite. I did have some leftover fabric but the dress had faded and it would have looked weird. My solution to extend the life of my dress was to remove the collar and lining. I ironed the collar flat and then cut three x 4.5cm wide strips from the length of the collar to make bias strips for the neck and armholes. I used my bias tape maker and the iron to fold the strips so that they could be neatly stitched on. I have attached the neck binding and pinned on one of the armhole bindings. This will be quick to finish off and then she’ll be ready to wear again. Excited!!!

About the Author:

Julie runs most of the workshops at Ministry of Handmade. Over the years she has studied design, knitted, crocheted, made quilts, recovered lounge suites, renovated four houses, made furniture, refurbished lampshades, made curtains, done clothing alterations for boutiques, spun wool, assembled short runs of garments for award winning fashion designers, themed events and published books.

Leave A Comment